Woman Bitten By Snake As She Sat On Toilet In Australia

Woman Bitten By Snake As She Sat On Toilet In Australia

A woman suffered puncture wounds after she was bitten by a 5ft python as she sat down on the toilet at a house in Brisbane.

Helen Richards, 59, was attacked by the carpet python when she visited a relative in the city.

She received a couple of minor, non-venomous puncture wounds from the reptile, which had sought a watery refuge in the toilet bowl as Australia continues to bake in an extreme drought.

Records in Australia continue to be broken, with Adelaide enduring 46.2C (115.16F) - the hottest ever temperature in a major Australian city - and Melbourne has also sweltered in its hottest day for five years.

Experts who were called to help Ms Richards in the Chapel Hill area of Brisbane on Tuesday said the heat had no doubt contributed to the python settling down in the toilet.

Writing on Facebook, a local snake catchers group said she was "admittedly quite embarrassed about needing to have the following discussion".

The post said: "She went into the bathroom to go to the toilet, but did not turn the light on. Mid-stream, she felt something bite her bottom!

"As you can imagine, she jumped up quite quickly. It all happened so fast, and she initially thought it was a frog."

It continued: "Of course, she discovered that it was not a frog, but a carpet python, which had gotten just as much of a fright as she did.

"Unfortunately, the snakes preferred exit point was blocked after being spooked by the customer sitting down and it simply lashed out in fear. It showed no defensive behaviour after this point."

The snake catcher provided Ms Richards with some antiseptic spray to help clean the bite, and the snake was safely removed from the toilet and relocated to a more appropriate environment.

Ms Richards was commended for not trying to flush the intruder and said her "toilet habits have forever changed".

The snake is not the only animal to have tried to escape the heat.

Fifty wild horses were culled at a waterhole in central Australia last week, according to local media, after another 40 had already died of thirst in the same area.

Sky News

(Excluding for the Headline, this article ("story") has not been edited by MiBiz News and is published from a web feed or sourced from the Internet.)