What is a Traffic Register Number - How do I get one?

By MiBiz News

What is a Traffic Register Number - How do I get one?

If you are a foreigner and you want to buy or register a motor vehicle in South Africa, you will need to apply for a traffic register number. The main requirement is a valid passport, driver's licence or a travel document that provides proof that you are legally in South Africa.

To apply for a traffic registration number you will need:

1. a valid passport

2. documentation proving legal residence in South Africa (i.e. your visa or permit)

3. two passport-size photos

If applying in Johannesburg, you will also need:

1. an invitation letter from your employer or school

2. a certified copy of your passport and visa/permit

3. proof of residence (a utility bill in your name or a lease agreement)

In Johannesburg, you will have to go to the Langlaagte location, and they only process traffic register numbers on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The best time to arrive is before or by 7am to ensure that you get the traffic register number and do not have to return. The Langlaagte Traffic Department is located at 93 Main Reef Road & Church Street, Amalgam, Johannesburg, 2025.

In Pretoria, you will have to go to the Waltloo office. The Waltloo office is located at 312 Petroleum Street, Silverton, Pretoria, 0184.

(Excluding for the Headline, this article ("story") has not been edited by MiBiz News and is published from a web feed or sourced from the Internet.)